Wednesday, March 4, 2015

National Crochet Month 2015 - Looking Back and Looking Forward

Welcome to National Crochet Month!  A couple of years ago I did a series of blog posts featuring new-to-me stitches and interesting projects.  To this day, the post on the Celtic Knot Granny Square is the most popular post of all time on this blog!

For this year, I have a lot of fun things planned, including techniques, a pattern of my own invention, and a guest post from one of my crafty friends!  If you have a Google account, you can easily follow so you don't miss any of these posts.

I'll be updating this post with links as the month progresses.  But let's start the celebration with just talking about crochet itself.


I know this question is asked by fiber arts pages on social media as a conversation starter all the time, but I'm really curious.  What is your favorite part of working yarn with one hook?

For me, there's something comforting in the repetition of pattern.  Somehow, crochet patterns seem easier (my friend Michelle will likely disagree with this when she tells about the project she's working on!) because of the repetition.  It soothes me - after the first few rows or rounds, I don't have to worry about what's coming next, or where I am, because it's all the same, and that's relaxing.

I've shared with you before that most of the things I crochet are utilitarian.  So I like to imagine my kids wearing the scarf or hat, someone carrying the bag, wearing the cardigan, wrapping their child in the blanket... That's also comforting to me.  This is the craft I do with purpose that also brings me joy!

Okay, your turn!  What do you love about crochet?

No comments: