Wednesday, March 11, 2015

National Crochet Month 2015 - The Return To Tunisian Crochet

This week, I thought we would revisit Tunisian crochet.  Several years ago I made some scarves using this technique.  This technique makes for a more closely-woven fabric than traditional crochet.  It is more like a knitted fabric, but still has the weight of crochet.  You work each row from right to left (if you're right handed) to pick up the stitches, then you complete the row by working the stitches off, left to right.  You never turn the work, which is part of the appeal for me!

You can buy a special long hook for large projects, but if you're doing something narrow like a scarf (or a granny square) you can use a standard crochet hook!

I'm using the cursed Premier sock weight yarn (the yarn isn't really cursed, just the socks were) and an E hook (the top of the recommended range) - it's a good idea to go up in hook size to avoid tension issues and curling. I still have curling, but I think it will block out.

I'm showing you the diagonal stitch (new to me) in a variegated yarn; if you want to see more options for working this stitch, I recommend visiting Stitch Diva - she has very good tutorials on how to execute the basic stitches (flat and in-the-round), as well as a series of classes you can purchase from her (not an affiliate post, I just really appreciate stitchers who put effort into teaching others!) - she also has free and paid patterns available. (Here's one of the free ones - chainmaille!  It uses this stitch!)

On to the project!


I found the best way to start this was with a no-foundation-chain row. It sets you up perfectly for executing the Tunisian diagonal stitch.

The diagonal stitch reminds me of Entrelac knitting.  Especially when I did a block of about 11 stitches, 11 rows high (I don't know why 11, it's just the number I picked).   I saw the left-hand edge looked an awful lot like slipped stitches that would be easy to pick up to start another block, so I did, and made a cool tulip-v-shaped thing:



Then I wondered what would happen if I picked up stitches on the right-hand edge of piece #2, and slipped each row to the top of piece #1 as I worked.  This happens:



It's like a hexagonal granny!  (I think it was pretty easy to figure out as I looked at it, but if you want a step-by-step for creating this granny, let me know in the comments!)

I think I've found some 12-y Seahawk redemption for this yarn, and I may try making my first real afghan out of these!  I started a grey one, too - I just need to get some off-white sock yarn to edge and attach the pieces!

You could also assemble them more like a puzzle, making 2 of the v-shaped-tulips and turning them points in.  There are a lot of really neat options with this idea.  What would you do with this stitch?

No comments: