Sunday, February 1, 2015

Super Bowl 49 - My 4 Game Day Must-Dos

I don't do roman numerals.  Does anyone know why the NFL uses roman numerals for the Super Bowl count?  I think they do it just to be fancy!

I'm very excited for the game this evening, since my Seahawks are playing for their 2nd consecutive title!  My Facebook feed has been a lot of fun for the last 2 weeks, with articles and videos  meant to inspire fans.  It's working!

Since I have something of an emotional investment in the game for the 2nd year in a row, it feels like I'm starting to develop some superstitions traditions:

1.  Skittles.  The link explains it all.

2.  Wear the proper colors.  I was on the worship team at church today, so I 12'd in public, with blue eyeliner and a blue infinity scarf I crocheted.  Just not in Seahawks team gear (which is not easy to find in Idaho).  But I did this with my nails:

Love these Neptune Jamberry wraps!  They actually remind me of summer and swimming pools!
3.  No chicken for food during the game.  I don't know that this tradition is a thing, because I think we had wings last year, and it was a blow-out.  But tonight we're having slow-cooked ribs, because that's delicious.

Game-day food gets a little more tricky because I've drastically changed my diet over the last few years.  I think I told you, about 2.5 years ago I discovered I am lactose-intolerant.  And I'm pretty sensitive to things I ought to be able to eat (yes, I can take enzymes to help, but my body still reacts.  So I usually avoid anything made with animal milk).  This combined with an effort to improve my overall health means that I am now about 80% paleo - focusing on whole foods, lean protein, fruits & veggies, limiting grains (I do still eat whole-wheat bread).  And I feel gross when I go off this plan, so I'm trying to stick to it, even through the big game.  I made a vegan spinach-artichoke dip that I found here (recipe is made with cashews, so if you're avoiding dairy and nuts, this may need more modification).  Soooooo good and really fast to make.  I may not even miss the cream cheese dip my mom makes!

4.  Fiber arts in team color.  So, I abandoned the socks I was knitting - I decided the yarn was cursed.  Not only did the Hawks not play up to par when I worked on them, but I had fit issues, and when I pulled the whole thing apart to try a different sock the yarn started splitting.  I think I'll work on some of the things I want to show you for crochet month.  Which is not all in blue or green.  But I'm having a good time with it, which is also important.  I may also work on the blue sections of Doro Theos.

Whether you watch the game for the football or the commercials (or don't watch at all), I hope everyone has a fun and safe Super Bowl Sunday.  Go Hawks!

No comments: