Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Go Red!

I'm going red for February!  Not in my clothing, at least not all the time.  I have 1 truly red shirt, and it has horizontal white stripes.  Not horrific, but my children would begin to think I was a candy cane if I wore it every day.

No, I'm going red on the blog, because February is the month that houses the national Go Red! For Women day.  This year: it's this Friday, February 4.  Everyone is encouraged to wear red to remember that heart disease kills women, too.  Both of my living grandparents have heart disease - my grandfather has had 2 bypass surgeries, and my grandmother is now living with a pacemaker.  I'm acutely aware of my need to watch out for my cardiovascular health.  32 (almost 33) is too young to not have enough energy and have out-of-balance cholesterol.

But changing a blog background and wearing red on one day out of the month will not make a difference.  I'm working on my own health by making a commitment to myself to lose an average of 1 pound a week - through diet and exercise.  Not just a weight loss goal for me, it's an overall health change goal.

To learn more about how you can get involved in this great movement, click here.  You'll find ways to donate, a link to tell friends about this important issue, and retailers who donate proceeds of sales to the American Heart Association.

I hope you'll join me on Friday by Going Red!!

No comments: