Wednesday, March 7, 2012

A New Stitch for Crochet Month - Raspberry Stitch

So I have a new board on Pinterest called Stitches - it's a collection of stitch tutorials (which makes it different from the My Projects board and the To Do By Hand board, of course).  One I came across is called Raspberry Stitch.  The pin link goes here - a text only tutorial that was a bit confusing.  So I turned to YouTube and found this:


(She sounds Australian, so I appreciate very much that she's using US terminology!)

The video was helpful in understanding what the pattern meant by "single crochet around stitch" - it's a front-post single crochet.  The video varies a little from the written pattern - she uses a straight single crochet for row 3, while the written pattern flips whether you start with sc or fpsc.

And here's my attempt at the stitch using the written pattern:

This is just  a 10x10 swatch for practice - J hook, Caron Simply Soft in Orchid.  (Yes I've already unraveled this because this is one of the colors I'm knitting with right now.)  

If you look closely, you can see that this stitch really does look like a bunch of raspberries.  It creates really nice ridges and a very firm fabric.  I think it would be great for scrubby-type things!

Some tips if you try this stitch - if you want even edges, use an odd number of stitches.  That way you'll start and end each row with a sc.  With an even number of stitches (like I did), your even rows will start with sc and end with fpsc, and your odd rows starting with row 3 will start with fpsc and end with sc.  (Row 1 is all sc.)

One problem I ran into was an unintentional decrease.  I found that when I was starting the odd rows I was not working the fpsc correctly, and somehow ended up going from 10 stitches to 8 (until I pulled it out and started over).  You actually need to work the fpsc on the edge of the stitch from the previous row - I wish I'd taken a picture of this step, because it's difficult to describe in words.  But you can see on the left edge of the pic that the edge is a little rippled - you may be able to tell that I'm using quite a bit of pressure to hold it down.  You definitely want to block this stitch, because it really wanted to curl on me.  The ripple is where you can see that I was working the fpsc on the edge of the stitch.

No comments: