Wednesday, March 14, 2012

National Crochet Month - Crocodile Stitch

I've had this stitch tutorial pinned probably since the first day I was on Pinterest.  Here's the link to the original post.  She does have videos that demonstrate how she does the stitch in a staggered fashion - 4 example, one row would have 4 scales, the next would have 3.  Unfortunately the videos on the blog do not show how to go from 4 to 3.  But I found this video on YouTube which has instructions that are even easier to follow (although she stitches REALLY fast):



She also does not tell how to move from 4 scales to 3, but there was a comment below that explained how someone else does it, and it works!!  I'll jut copy and paste it here so when you attempt this stitch you won't spend an entire afternoon trying to figure that part out: "i had same question - i did 3ch after the last dc, then ss and 3ch in the middle of the last scale, then ch1 and 2 dc in the dc etc - it worked. "

Here's a picture of my attempt at the stitch:


It kind of looks like fish scales!  I have an idea for this fantastic stitch (with this yarn, which is Red Heart Super Saver "Aspen Print" - hook size is I).

The key to making this work are the foundation "ladder" - I truly prefer the method in the video embedded above, simply because the alternating one or 2 DC helps me keep track of where I am.  You also need to turn the ladder so it's up and down - you'll work the shells along the "rungs" of the ladder.  I found it easiest to pinch the rungs so that my working rung popped up.

You will see this again in the near future - in a finish!

No comments: