Tuesday, January 31, 2012

New Interest - Knitting!

I resisted the urge to learn to knit for a while.  There were a lot of reasons: I already had enough WIPs without learning a new thing to start, I like the one-handedness of crochet (2 needles seemed like it would be more complicated), I kind of liked being on the "outside" of yarn arts....

But the downside of being on the "outside" of yarn arts is that most of the patterns that catch my eye are for knitting, not crochet!  And I really like the feeling of knitted fabric - it's not quite as bulky as crochet.  You may remember a couple of years ago I learned afgan stitch, which produces a knit-like fabric.  But it takes FORever to crochet.

So a couple of weeks ago I was waiting for a prescription at Walmart, and I didn't quite have an hour's worth of shopping to do - you know how it is.  So I wandered into the yarn aisle.  I'm fortunate that my Walmart still carries fabric, yarn and beads.  So instead of buying yarn, I bought knitting needles and a book.

In my efforts to learn how to do knit and purl, I found this pattern for a basketweave scarf.  Knit 3, purl 3 - I think I have the hang of it now!

I'd knitted up a swatch of it for practice, and K saw the Simply Soft in Grape (purple is her favorite color) and begged if she could have it when it was done.  So now I have to finish it!  I'll try to find my upstairs tape measure and use it in the progress pics.

2 comments:

Rebekah said...

Love that color! I wish I knew how to crochet/knit. I took a class and learned how to do the crochet granny sguare but I swear I can't remember anything I was taught. Ha ha!

drea_dear said...

Rebekah - casting on was the hardest part for me to learn to do, followed by understanding the difference between knit and purl. That's why I liked this pattern - 3 stitches of knit, 3 of purl, it allows me to get into a rhythm, but I still have to pay enough attention to make sure I'm doing it right.